What Molds Are Toxic?

August 2, 2017 3:04 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

Whether it’s a heavy rainstorm, a burst pipe or a heightened level of humidity, there are all sorts of reasons why the floors, walls and ceilings in a home might come into contact with more moisture than usual. No matter what the cause may be, moisture in a home can create the perfect conditions for mold to thrive. Sometimes, a little mold can be harmless, but other times it can be the source of a number of health concerns, not to mention the damage that it does to your home. In these situations, seeking water damage restoration in Washington, MO is an essential step to take to prevent the development and spreading of mold.

Types of toxic mold

While there are some types of mold that are more threatening to human health than others, every type of mold could potentially have adverse health effects in high enough concentrations. Molds that produce small molecular toxins in certain conditions are referred to as toxigenic. This toxigenic mold is spread through mold spores and can cause serious health problems if enough of the mold is ingested over time. Because of the health risks associated with mold in all of its forms, it is always best to get help from a professional mold removal service to address mold in your home before it makes you or your family sick.

  • Stachybotrys chartarum: While most people have heard of S. chartarum, they probably know it by a different name—black mold. This mold is identifiable as a greenish-black fungus that is found in moist environments. Since black mold requires moisture to grow, it is most commonly found in water-damaged buildings and homes that have been affected by humidity, flooding or other types of water damage. Stachybotrys chartarum creates mycotoxins, small molecular toxins that can make people ill. While S. chartarum produces very potent mycotoxins, it is believed that there are only a few strands of this type of mold that are actually toxigenic.
  • Aspergillis: Aspergillis is a family of molds, not all of which are toxic. While the mycotoxins found in aspergillis are not quite as potent as those produced by S. chartarum, infestations of aspergillis are far more common. Because of its commonality, it is important to keep an eye out for any signs of aspergillis mold growth in your home. In order to avoid developing mold, you should seek professional water damage restoration in Washington, MO immediately after you experience any flooding or humidity issues in your home that could encourage mold growth.

Water damage restoration in Washington, MO

Keep your home healthy and avoid the damage that mold can do to your floors, walls, ceilings and upholstery by investing in water damage restoration in Washington, MO. It is essential that you find a water damage restoration service that you can trust to complete the job thoroughly and with a high degree of care and service. At Premier Carpet Care & Water Damage Restoration, our customers have been trusting us to give them the best service available so that they can feel confident that their home and possessions will stay in great shape for years to come. Call us today and find out more about all of the services that we provide.

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *